Voice over GPRS?

Terrence Barr - Evangelist, Java Mobile & Embedded Terrence.Barr at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 2 17:52:55 CET 2007

VoIP calls typically require approx. 120 kbit/s *each*
direction, that's 240 kbit/s for a two-way conversation.

UMTS gives you 384 kbit/s if you're lucky. Most of the time
it's more like 150 kbit/s, so VoIP will only work with
very poor quality.

Also, most data plans specifically prohibit VoIP usage
and may even prevent it technically.

VoIP over cellular is just not feasible at this point.

The pre-paid data is interesting, though, from a competitive
standpoint.

-- Terrence