http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary Re: Translators needed?

Vincente Aggrippino vaggrippino at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 23:00:36 CET 2007

I'm coming into this conversation late, as I just joined the mailing
list, but I think I can offer a more general perspective on
translation.

My wife, and many of her colleagues, are not native English speakers.
They are all highly educated (PhD) and, among the entire group, speak
several languages including English, Malay, Mandarin, Kadazan,
Tagalog, Japanese, Arabic, Spanish, French, German, Hindi, Tamil, and
Russian.  As you might have guessed, my wife is a linguist at a major
university.

My enthusiasm towards Open Source Software has at least piqued their
curiosity and I've brought up the idea of translation.  Some of them
would be willing to consider doing voluntary translation for products
that would benefit less-advantaged kids.  The context for my
discussion was OpenOffice.org, but would easily apply to other
products.

The point I'm getting at is that I don't think there are many
professional translators, but there are many people with the same
qualifications.  They just didn't choose to become translators.