Other uses for the gsm/gprs hardware....

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Sat Feb 3 00:38:56 CET 2007

Salve Tim!

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007, Tim Newsom wrote:

> While the phone is not on a call, can we use the gsm audio codec or
> other hardware/software to do useful work?  For instance, decoding of
> some audio file or something like that.

Yes but not with the GSM IC - the Neo1973 itself has a quite powerfull
audio IC, to be accurate, wolfson WM8753 - see Seans mail:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2006-December/000737.html

> I know we don't have access to the bare metal of the chip, but its
> probably at least an arm processor with some dsp or something right? I
> would think it could be useful in some way other than just phone
> calls/data transfer.
Of course ;) we had already several normal or freaky ideas what
to do with it. Sorry that not every idea is in our wiki yet..
but we have our mailarchive.

Just see the Neo as a
mobil (embedded) computer + Linux + GSM/GPRS + AGPS + Bluetooth

Have you had something special in mind to do with the audio IC?

Greetings,
rob