Tinymail on it?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Feb 4 20:06:44 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 12:44 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 05:12 +0000, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 01:56 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > > I already asked it to some internal E-mail address, the reaction back
> > > then was positive but no real certainties.
> > >
> > > Is there interest from the OpenMoko team for bringing tinymail to the
> > > device? (http://tinymail.org)
> > >
> > > I've been reading the discussions about push e-mail, and that idea is
> > > all nice and stuff. But you'll still need an actual client to display
> > > the e-mails themselves.
> >

> > Philip, this would be great. You should hop over toe the openmoko-devel
> > mailing list to discuss more. There is discussion about an integrating
> > messaging app. Tinymail is great, uses evolution data server, and could
> > hopefully be adapted to the openmoko platform.
> It looks like that mailing list is an invite-only one, or else isn't the
> mailman on the server working correctly (I haven't yet received a
> confirmation E-mail).
> I'd be happy to join that mailing list and discuss the technical pieces
> of messaging with you guys. Especially when it comes to RFC822 messages
> (E-mails, MIME parts, etc etc) ...
> > Yes, this would be amazingly stellar for mobile apps. It appears that
> > messaging is a big missing piece right now, so tinymail with some
> > extensions would be an amazing opportunity in the messaging arena.
> >
> > What is the current extensibility of tinymail? How could we go about
> > adding SMS support to tinymail to treat it like a first class piece of
> > mail?
> ... and of course also non-RFC822 messages and services that deliver
> such messages to the software on the device. Although we will have to
> check how we can blend-in such messages into the current API.
> It might mean that I will have to make the current API more flexible,
> maybe this can be solved internally within the implementations of that
> API, etcetera ... ?
> But I would be very happy to discuss this indeed. And I'm certainly
> willing to actively change things in order to support SMS and MMS type
> of messages.

Oh, this is great news indeed. I installed the Contacts and Dates apps
from openhanded with no troubles, but when I tried to install Tinymail,
I need the customized libraries. Are there instructions for how to do a
build, where to find the updated libraries, and without breaking my old
system's libraries ;)

Current OpenMoko developers, could you comment on the state of messaging
on OpenMoko and if this is a good direction to go on merging these
message types behind this soon-to-become handheld standard mail app? :)

The tinymail, dates and contacts applications are awesome, well
supported by opened hand, nokia/maemo and others. Thus, it seems logical
to jump on the bandwagon to gain group benefits and to have an upstream
source for email...

Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894