X bit depth, Evas toolkit

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 03:17:57 CET 2007

Hi Guys,

I'm from the Canola team (multimedia app for Maemo) and I'm interested
in OpenMoko (that's my personal opinion, etc etc etc).

I would like to confirm if HW/X11 is 16bpp.

And I would like to invite you to join us to port/optimize Evas
toolkit to operate on 16bpp internally (it does on 24bpp + 8 alpha).

We're using SDL atm, but Evas has many advantages, like a great text
layout system (like Pango), toolkit (like Gtk), scripting support and
easy theme capabilities. Can you do it with GDK? Yes... if you want to
do a lot of work.  Do I want to replace GDK/GTK with it? No way! Just
different scope. If you want to do something like Canola, then it's
easier to use Evas. If you want to do PIM (and your underlying system
is GTK), it's easier to do in GTK.

Interested people can mail me or hang on #e @ freenode. We should
develop it on enlightenment repo (if they give us commit access :-P).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com