OpenMoko at FOSDEM 2007

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Feb 5 16:34:06 CET 2007

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns-bdq14YP6qtRg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> writes:

> If you have not yet recognized, Sean is giving a talk at FOSDEM 2007:
> http://www.fosdem.org/2007/schedule/events/embedded_openmoko

There isn't any chance we could buy one of the phones at FOSDEM, is
there?  February 24th is pretty close to March 11th... ;-)

I definitely want one -- I'll be trying to use it as a remote control
of my summer house.  I'll be installing IHC in the house the next few
weeks.  IHC has a central controller for all electricity, low-voltage
wires in the building for buttons, high-voltage to lights etc.  IHC
appears to be quite popular in Scandinavia, but I haven't been able to
find much technical information about it, let alone any Linux support.

There may be some reverse-engineering of the protocols involved...
The IHC system typically uses a serial port for configuration, but
I'll be buying one extra piece of hardware which allows me to control
the house remotely over the Internet too.  Hopefully, one of the
protocols will be easy to re-implement.  The Neo1973 should connect to
the system, and I could visualize the house on the display and
enable/disable lights.  When I'm not at the house, I should be able to
enable/disable heating, etc.

/Simon