Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Tue Feb 6 11:16:12 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 10:56:37 Sergio Bessa wrote:

> What if we could have Jabber support in OpenMoko and use some sort of
> transport/relay to connect to legacy protocols? Don't you think this
> would work? This way wwe only needed one protocol implementation.

Sure. Many of the public Jabber servers come with ICQ, MSN, AIM etc
transports. It's not entirely as straight forward to use as direct
connections to those networks in most Jabber clients, but I'm sure it could
be done that way.

Then again, while XMPP is quite nice for normal usage on the net, maybe we
need a different protocol, namely one that is VERY bandwidth efficient (XML
is not really famous for that, a binary protocol could potentially do much
better) to keep GPRS costs low?