Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Feb 6 11:07:14 CET 2007

On ti, 2007-02-06 at 09:56 +0000, Sergio Bessa wrote:
> As most of you might know there are transports that make it possible to
> connect to MSN / ICQ [...] What if we could have Jabber support in OpenMoko
> and use some sort of transport/relay to connect to legacy protocols?
> Don't you think this would work? This way we only needed one protocol
> implementation.

I for one think it's a good idea to concentrate on Jabber support on the
OpenMoko itself. Jabber is open, versatile, extensible, already has
options for gpg-usage for us heavy security nuts, etc. And I don't wish
to put down the legacy protocol gateway support (the use of which should
be made as easy as possible, of course). This would simplify the
software needed phone-side.

So, we'd need reliable servers with legacy gateway support. I wonder if
FIC would consider providing an appropriate Jabber server to customers.
This would enable pretty easy default setup phone-side (basically, if
you'd use the FIC server, you'd just have to provide your preferred
username and password; if you'd want legacy access you'd also of course
have to give eg. your MSN account).

Can be done without FIC, of course, but it would be nice to have some
trusted server that agrees to be the default and provides the legacy
transport support :)

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki