Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Tue Feb 6 12:15:10 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 12:06:08 you wrote:
> It woud be great to keep a clean, well known messaging protokoll at the
> base. For reducing the bandwidth usage, I would have two ideas in mind:
> - gzip the xml communication (like soap Web-Services over HTTP do).
> - Use the binary XML-Representation WAP Binary XML (WBXML)
> Both solutions would need a server-side gateway, but full-blown xml
> could be used as fall-back, very easy.

Actually, TLS specifies (though its optional I believe, but openssl seems to
support it) compression mechanisms, so some Jabber servers might already be
able to use compressed connections without any real intervention...

But one could also think about Jabber to wbxml and then still compress it with
some good algorithm..