Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:24:50 CET 2007

Hi, i'll add my 2 cents :)

Then again, while XMPP is quite nice for normal usage on the net, maybe we
> need a different protocol, namely one that is VERY bandwidth efficient
> (XML
> is not really famous for that, a binary protocol could potentially do much
> better) to keep GPRS costs low?

The best would be:
- using a plain text protocol : irc would be great, but prevents further
extension (webcam over ip or voip), so SIP might be better
- using a compressive transport layer (tunneling into ssh, with compression
?).

My opinion is, if we really want to turn the OpenMoko platform to it's
maximum extend, we'll have to associate it with a server-side component
(running all the time, such as a WRT or NSLU2 device), a multiprotocol IM
gateway, a remote storage feature (sshfs?), an imap webserver, a web
gateway... Everything tunneled into a secure-as-possible connection.

Example:
http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.html for IRC (server side)