Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Feb 6 13:41:06 CET 2007

On ti, 2007-02-06 at 12:24 +0000, Florent THIERY wrote:
> The best would be:
> - using a plain text protocol : irc would be great, but prevents
> further extension (webcam over ip or voip), so SIP might be better

Yes, irc is notoriously inflexible. Thus my wish for Jabber. As for SIP,
I don't think it's the best thing for this job... VOIP, sure, text
messaging/file transfer/etc, iffy...

> - using a compressive transport layer (tunneling into ssh, with
> compression ?).

TLS (and apparently its implementations in gnutls and openssl) support
compressed transport (which makes sense, since if you don't compress
before encryption, you don't compress). A good compression layer should
in theory negate much of the XML overhead, at least if you keep mostly
persistent connections.

> My opinion is, if we really want to turn the OpenMoko platform to it's
> maximum extend, we'll have to associate it with a server-side
> component (running all the time, such as a WRT or NSLU2 device), a
> multiprotocol IM gateway, a remote storage feature (sshfs?), an imap
> webserver, a web gateway... Everything tunneled into a
> secure-as-possible connection.

You can do nice things with your own persistently available server, yes,
but one shouldn't be necessary to mostly enjoy OpenMoko. You mentioned a
web gateway; I assume you mean a web proxy that's tunable to eg.
recompress images smaller (and crappier) and such to make gprs browsing
a bit faster, and stuff like that - if you didn't, I do ;)

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjr at iki.fi>
University of Helsinki