Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:09:22 CET 2007

> You can do nice things with your own persistently available server, yes,
> but one shouldn't be necessary to mostly enjoy OpenMoko.

Of course, it shouldn't need it, but an associated distro / dedicated app
for computers may unleash features. And can become a paid service if you
don't want to run into the hassle of maintaining your own webserver (with
professionnal grade backup and availability services...).

You mentioned a web gateway; I assume you mean a web proxy that's tunable to
> eg.
> recompress images smaller (and crappier) and such to make gprs browsing
> a bit faster, and stuff like that - if you didn't, I do ;)

Yup, i did. Still, the need for refactoring isn't that big, thanks to the
awesome screen resolution of the neo... Makes me think of opera mini's
refactoring process.

Sadly, the lack of EDGE is a huge impairement for internet-based services
usability (google maps, wikipedia, geomashups...) :-(

Plus, mobile carriers (at least in France) aren't going in the direction of
unlimited data access, more like "you MUST buy all the features from me and
it's illegal to circumvent it". No wonder french mobile carriers have the
highest rentability per client in whole europe.

Florent