Text messaging on the OpenMoko platform

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Tue Feb 6 19:31:47 CET 2007

Fabian Off wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007 schrieb Mikko J Rauhala:
>> You can do nice things with your own persistently available server, yes,
>> but one shouldn't be necessary to mostly enjoy OpenMoko. You mentioned a
>> web gateway; I assume you mean a web proxy that's tunable to eg.
>> recompress images smaller (and crappier) and such to make gprs browsing
>> a bit faster, and stuff like that - if you didn't, I do ;)
>
> Well, that idea is used by most (afiak all) german providers for mobile
> internet.
> They offer a tool to disable it (to have the option on the phone itself woul
> be great!), but most people don't even care on the picutres being totally
> crappy... So I think this feature (the compression) should be avaliable on
> carriers side, not on the openmoko side. Of course not every carrier will do
> so, but in my mind you cannot ask FIC to offer this service... that will
> cause GBs of traffic per day, if enough users buy and use the phone.

Why on earth should the service be free?

As long as there is an open standard for the proxy, so others can
implement it, potentially at lower cost, or users with reliable
computers connected to the net can run it there, a pay-for service from
FIC may be a nice complement for the phone.

A 'one stop' email, compressing web proxy, backup, ... site, with a
small free allowance may be quite a nice thing for users.