Ogg Vorbis Chips for Neo3000? :-)

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 7 11:58:58 CET 2007

On ke, 2007-02-07 at 10:58 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Thought http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/02/06/1931244.shtml
> was interesting - it would be cool to have an OGG decoder onboard a
> future Neo for iPhone style music-player/phone hybrid functionality in
> the free software context :-)

A nice piece of equipment, to be sure, and good to have those around.
Still, I doubt it would be worth the cost and space to put it on an
(n-gen) Neo; it has a powerful enough general purpose processor, and
while the battery would likely last somewhat longer playing with that
chip, a music decoder chip wouldn't add any new functionality.

(Now, if they'd make a _Theora_ decoder chip... ;P )

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki