OpenMoko Challenges

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Mon Feb 12 16:15:47 CET 2007

Richard Bennett schrieb:
> On Monday 12 February 2007 13:05, Nils Faerber wrote:
>> - not even counting in the extreme high power consumption it would
>> cause. I assume unless some genious invents a much higher efficient step
>> up converter you will not see any small portable device to support bus
>> powered USB devices.
> One way would be for FIC to supply an optional fatter replacement battery that
> included one extra 1.5v cell, a wifi dongle, and the necessary circuitry for
> charging the additional cell after the regular ones were full, and supplying
> the 3.3 / 5v outlets.

Uh... quite tough, isn't it?
That would require a major hardware work (second charger logic for 5V
charging, power switch, more pins in the battery pack, extra power
regulator for 5V, etc.). That would mean roughly an addition of 20 to 40
extra parts on the PCB. Sure, could be done, but is a quite complex
thing. IMHO too complex to achieve the goal.

I am personall already quite happy with Bluetooth. Wifi requires to have
a good power managed Wifi chipset like in the Nokia 770 or N800 - else
Wifi is pretty usefless. I am willing to wait for FIC to dig out such
chipset and integrate it directly into the hardware design.

> Richard.
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535