Boot mode: boot any computer on your openmoko device (storage mode?)

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 00:15:08 CET 2007

I would personally really like to be able to boot a computer on my linux
phone, using a regular usb-miniusb cable.

I know that USB boot isn't available on every computer in the same
implementation, but nowaday's ones should.

Woud it be possible, in file storage mode, or a dedicated boot mode, to let
the phone appear as a bootable usb device? It would be just perfect to have
geexbox on the device, or any lightweight linux distro (security oriented
for instance, a NAS distro, a firewall one...) and toold (memtest...), with
grub? This phone could become the hacker's swiss knife :)

In fact the main question is: can we install grub on it? And will the
computer run it?

I don't know the exact technical difficulties involved to sure to be able to
boot on most computers.
Just a question: will the phone be able to recharge while on boot mode?

And another: would if be possible to have a self rolling std USB plug
integrated in the device? I know it sounds stupid, but it would be soo
perfect... Doesn't have to be long though...