OpenGL on the Neo1973??

Paul Bonser misterpib at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 04:06:25 CET 2007

On 2/12/07, Alexandre Franke <alexandre.franke at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/07, "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie at mages.ath.cx> wrote:
> > OpenGL is in the driver/hardware(not sure which).
>
> OpenGL is an API.
>
> > SDL only provides a simple interface to it all.
>
> An interface to what? OpenGL + other things? Isn't it what is called
> "built on top of"?

No, it's not built on top of OpenGL. SDL doesn't actually use OpenGL
at all (there is a third-party backend which use OpenGL, but it
doesn't quite match the SDL API from what I can tell).
You can use OpenGL with SDL, where SDL will do the window setup and
handle input and sound and whatnot and you draw into the window with
OpenGL. SDL provides an interface to draw onto a framebuffer, which is
then displayed using native 2D blitting calls.
Porting SDL to the Neo1973 would probably be a good option since it
uses a relatively thin wrapper around native calls.
If somebody wanted to do an OpenGL ES implementation for it, that
would probably also be good, though at 233Mhz, it's not going to have
much power spare for rendering, and plus, the SDL port would be much
more useful all around.
--
Paul Bonser