R: Camera and MMS

Michele Manzato michele.manzato at verona.miz.it
Tue Feb 13 10:26:32 CET 2007

Voting for integrated Camera as well for future releases of the Neo. Not
using it very much, but it can be handy every now and then.

In time I expect that the OpenMoko platform API will grow to support a wider
range of peripheral families than are available in the Neo at the moment
(camera, wifi, IrDA, accelerometer, ...). I also expect that some API will
list the device capabilities so that the sw can adapt to the actual device.

MMS seems to be a problem. Apparently there is no MMS standard, or the
standard itself is said to be "horribly broken" (see
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-February/002787.html) or
it is tweaked to peculiarities of the Mobile Network Operator in order to
discourage migration between providers (MNOs fear open standards!). Someone
is already talking about an OpenMoko integrated messaging application that
abstracts on the specific media (e-mail, SMS, MMS) so, perhaps,
sending/receiving MMS can just become a matter of implementing proper
abstraction layers.

Ciao
Michele