License?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Feb 19 16:44:21 CET 2007

What is the typical license for OpenMoko code?

I'm building openmoko right now -- thanks to the mokomakefile -- and
while waiting for it to finish, I'm reading through some of the code.
For example, openmoko-libs/libmokoui/.  The is a COPYING file that
contains LGL version 2.1, but each source code file says:

 *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *  it under the terms of the GNU Lesser Public License as published by
 *  the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the license.

Is it LGPL version 2 or version 2.1?

When I look inside panel-plugins/openmoko-panel-battery/, the COPYING
file contains GPL v.2 but the files say LGPL v.2.

When I look inside panel-plugins/openmoko-panel-mainmenu/, the COPYING
file contains GPL v.2 but the files says 'GNU Public
License'...'version 2'.  A missing 'General'?

Is there any particular reason the license doesn't include the typical
'(or any later version)'?

I'm not trying to start a license flamewar, if that can be avoided;
I'm just curious because there seem to be some conflicting statements
in the source.

Thanks,
Simon