Copyrights in the wiki

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 19 18:22:25 CET 2007

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 01:54:56AM +0000, Ole Tange wrote:
> On 2/17/07, denis <denis at planet-standard.de> wrote:
> >I got a question. Is it allowed to post screenshots from MacOS
> >applications and use them as a reference for the layout and look of the
> >phone?
> >For example here:
> >http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Date_%26_Time_Preview
>
> I would recommend against it. The wiki clearly states:

I would follow that recommendation, but don't consider it as a serious
issue.  The MacOS apps are certainly copyrighted, but I've never seen
any issue about publicizing screenshots from existing programs.  I mean,
if that would be considered copyright infringement, nobody could ever
publicize any screenshot of any non-free application or a non-free OS
anywhere.

Yes, if somebody copies the design/theming of a UI app (into a new UI
app, e.g. an OpenMoko one), that would be a problem.  But then the moko
themes are so different that I doubt this would happen either.