What service plan in New York City?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Feb 20 00:55:29 CET 2007

"Mike" <fromlists at talkingspider.com> writes:
> What service plan should I sign up for in new york city in anticipation of
> the openmoko?  In other words a plan that I can keep and switch to an
> openmoko phone with?
>
> I already know it has to be G3 and use sim cards.  I want to know,
> specifically, what carrier will work?  I'm in the largest city in america,
> surely some of the openmoko people will know what I can sign up for?

It seems a bit premature to be shopping for service this early. That
said, the two GSM carriers in New York are T-mobile and Cingular, and
either should be fine in terms of compatibility. (Cingular is about to
be re-branded AT&T again.) I don't personally know which is going to
give higher quality service -- I've heard complaints about both -- but
with either it should be a simple matter of popping your SIM out of
the old phone and into the Neo1973.

Perry