Forums Page?

mathew davis someoneinjapan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:45:56 CET 2007

On 2/20/07, Joe Pfeiffer <jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net> wrote:

> michael at michaelshiloh.com writes:
> >
> >It's interesting to note that most youngsters seem to prefer forums, and
> most
> >of us old-timers (IIRC you're my age, Joe) prefer mailing lists. I wonder
> why
> >that is?
>
> I don't know how old you are, but I'm afraid I count as an oldster
> these days...  there are some definite generational things I've
> noticed.  Preference for forums (and the ongoing decline and slow
> death of usenet is related -- when my university stopped supporting it
> a few weeks ago because their upstream feed stopped, they told me I
> was the only regular usenet reader left on campus) is one of them;
> another is text messaging on phones.  It just never occurs to me to
> send an SMS; I almost always email, and phone if that's impractical.

It's funny that you mention that I am only 24 so I guess I would fit in the
youngster category.  I don't even know what usenet is.  I guess that's why
phones are starting to be the great meadator of communication between
generations, you can e-mail now, SMS, or call.  You can even use the GPS to
show up at their door step.  Funny how things are starting to merge together
huh.  Computer programs, internet programs, and phone programs.  I bet in 5
- 10 years there won't be a distinguishable difference between the three.
That's why I think this phone is so great.  It is the start of the
integration.  Soon people will just have data associated with them.  And
they can access it from anywhere at anytime.  I am excited to see where this
OpenMoko and the OLPC things take us.