Forums Page?

Sam Kome sam.kome at
Tue Feb 20 21:13:57 CET 2007

Sorry to bend the thread a little, but I wanted to respond to Andreas'
T9 comment. My position is neutral; T9 seems to work well for some
people and some purposes, not so well for others.

These folks did a decent usability test that should be useful to
consider when designing the onscreen keypad/board.  It compares T9 to
(You'll want a new-fangled browser)

Conclusion: T9 has a steeper learning curve but is more efficient for a
new user.

I think the Fastap layout sacrifices familiarity to conserve space.
What should work better (imo, ymmv) with an onscreen input is a quick
way to flip between a numeric keypad and a qwerty/configurable keyboard.

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of Andreas
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:05 PM
To: Joe Pfeiffer
Cc: community at
Subject: Re: Forums Page?

* Joe Pfeiffer <jjpfeifferjr at> [070220 19:57]:
> My children (I've got one who just finished his undergrad degree in
> CS, and a second who is a pre-med) don't send much email, but are
> constantly texting.

Well, I do texting mostly on phones with a sensible keyboard or
grafitti entry system. And no, T9 is not a sensible input method IMHO.

OpenMoko community mailing list
community at

NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information of Motricity.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.