Schematics/PCB

Justyn Butler justynbutler+openmoko at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 21 17:52:04 CET 2007

I certainly wouldn't expect them (FIC) to make the schematics/PCB "free to
use", which would enable people to legally copy FIC's investment.

But what real advantage can there be to keeping them closed? I would at
least like this explained to me. As far as I know, any company wishing to
make illegal knockoffs can just X-ray the boards (to read the layers) and
therefore reproduce the PCB and schematics. After all, they have an
incentive to put the time in. But hobbyist hackers don't have this time.

I would also like to be able to repair the phone when it inevitably becomes
damaged (in a few years, say). It is very frustrating when repairing
consumer electronics that you just can't find the necessary information
anywhere, ie what the ICs are (topcodes are next to useless). Quite often
just a power transistor or the like needs to be replaced, but it is
incredibly time-consuming understanding the function of each part of the
circuit when you can only see part of it.

Justyn