Marketing fodder for Neo: FCC presentation

David Pinto dp at wicult.net
Fri Feb 23 15:13:09 CET 2007

Expect the large carriers to do whatever they can to prevent from open
platforms to gain market share. One of their biggest concerns is turning
from *Cellular Service Providers* into *Wireless Network Providers* (which
is exactly what Neo will catalyze). There are suggestions being currently
made in the cellular industry to start charging a premium for accessing
certain URLs from cellphones (e.g., Skype :)), as well as other mid-evil
times ideas.

There are about 180 wireless providers in the US
(http://www.ctia.org/research_statistics/index.cfm/AID/10202). One way of
getting traction is with the smaller MVNO, which will see the Neo/OpenMoko
as a business opportunity rather than a threat.

DP.