Neo1973 With Screen On at PopSci!

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 21:31:30 CET 2007

michael at michaelshiloh.com writes:

>On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> I *think* the intent -- and what I'd like to see -- would be a "geek
>> mode" checkbox, with a second screen (or more) specifying exactly what
>> was being watched.  Going into geek mode would turn on whatever was
>> set in the second screen; coming back out would turn off all geeky
>> output but not forget those settings.
>
>Why does it have to be one or the other? why not have a separate box to check
>for "return to factory settings", orthogonal to geep/consumer mode?
>
>Or better, a factory settings menu, where you can select which settings to
>return to factory mode or not?

Isn't that orthogonal?  "Reset factory settings", to me, means "let's
reset things in the interface the user has customized", which is
differnt somehow than "what do we want to log now?" (I'll grant that
the latter could be regarded as a special case of the former, but it
still seems qualitatively different to me).

>Being an open platform, we'll probably have multiple versions of this control
>program anyway, so we can all have what we want (if we are willing to write
>it).

:)