Locked phones (was Re: A timely rant: Time for SIM-free phones.)

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Mon Feb 26 21:46:18 CET 2007

* Sam Kome <sam.kome at motricity.com> [070226 21:20]:
> > companies involved, the group that has the most to gain from OpenMoko
> > are the endusers. Worse the powerusers, which are a bad deal for the
> > networks anyway. I do compare plans, and I tend to use what I buy.)
>

> I agree that users will benefit. I don't think most of them know it.
> But to your point - there's a big upside for carriers.

The problem is manyfold:

a) corporate view points can be quite twisted for no reason.
b) carriers in many countries overpaid for the 3G licenses, and are
now in the bad situation that they are hardpressed to show any profits.
c) 3G means fast data connection, but only for a small number of users
=> these means that the carriers are in the bad situation of cable
internet providers, it's just worse for them. ;)

Andreas