Voice Activated Controls

Knight Walker moko at kobran.org
Tue Feb 27 00:32:05 CET 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 05:08:18PM -0600, Jonathon Suggs wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software for natural language processing that
> could be ported to OM/Neo?  I really like some of the software that is
> available for the PocketPC (MS Voice Commander and Fonix).  They both
> run and work well on a resource limited platform as well, so it *can* be
> done, but both are closed.
>
> Here are a couple of OS engines:
> http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/pocketsphinx/
> http://julius.sourceforge.jp/en_index.php?q=en/index.html
> http://xvoice.sourceforge.net/
>
> So I guess, is there already any voice control software planned/worked
> on for use in OpenMoko?  If not, I'll help out, but can we get a project
> up and running?

Depending on what you're looking for, it may be easier than that. My last
three phones (All Nokia) have a speech command recognition which seems
more like limited wave-form matching. It requires that I record the
command ("Call Brian", "Start music player", "Begin recording") then when
I want to use that command, I hold down a button on the phone (Or on the
headset) until the phone makes a certain tone, and speak the command.
The phone then "searches" for a few seconds, finds the match, and
activates the function.  It's VERY useful for when I'm driving and want
to call someone. I just hold down a button on my headset and give it the
command, all while keeping my eyes on the road.

My only major complaint is the (very) limited number of commands you can
record.  I find I have to think really hard about what I want a voice
command for because making a new one requires that I remove an existing
one.

It wouldn't give you continuous speech-to-text capability, but I'm not
sure I want that.  People think I'm crazy enough as it is.

-KW