Itch3: Anti-lost/theft protection

Christian T. christian.t.80 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:19:55 CET 2007

Bartłomiej Zdanowski DRP AC2 wrote:
> I asked my colleagues for a solution. For non-existent or disabled GPRS
> connection our devices use SMS messages for reporting current status and
> position.
> That's the solution! Let thief pay for data transmission :-)

well, of course. didn't think of that. how was that with the forest and
the trees? :)

you can pack a lot of information into 160bytes - it doesn't have to be
human-readable - and SMS are almost realtime as long as the provider
doesn't have problems. and if you have an sms-email-gateway somewhere
that solves the problem where to send the data (since your phone is gone).

IMO sms should be the standard-method, because it should always work.

Christian.