GSM Japan

Rowland Cheshire 2rc at operamail.com
Fri Jan 5 01:23:48 CET 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 02:06, Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> to, 2007-01-04 kello 16:26 +0900, Rowland Cheshire kirjoitti:
> > NTT Docomo now provide a GSM service within Japan - 1900Mhz.
>
> Would that they'd had that when I was there ;) Oh, and roaming.
>
> > Anyone interested will need a contract. The good news is that the Docomo
> > phone comes free! and the SIM card is separate.
>
> Not really good news on the phone, you pay for it in the monthlies and
> call charges. So if you use another phone, like Neo, you'll end up paying
> for two phones.

Yes that's true, as is the case with all plans. I guess I mean there is no up
front outlay for the phone. I'm eager to try out the Neo, both in Japan and
at home. And for that, happy to absorb the cost - it's a crappy phone in any
case. I wouldn't purchase it for it's esthetics or features.

> > Does anyone know of problems using the Docomo SIM card in openmoko. It is
> > an expensive exercise to buy and try. Or is it safe to assume that any
> > GSM SIM card worldwide will work. It appears to be standard size.
>
> Any 1900 MHz capable GSM phone should work _if_ Docomo hasn't prevented
> it for one silly reason or another. If they have, they should know, so
> ask?
Good point, that is a possibility and in Japan I wouldn't be surprised. I will
be asking.