suggested development toolkit for games?

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Mon Jan 8 00:00:25 CET 2007

Andreas Jellinghaus writes:
>I wrote a game in turbo pascal a decade or two ago.
>if I wanted to rewrite it for openmoko, which toolkit
>etc. would I use for the graphics and sound effects?
>
>rewriting this game once more is always a nice way for
>me to learn some new language and toolkit and do something
>useful at the same time. :)

Anything you want! :)

It's my understanding that the apps coming with the phone will use
gtk+, so using that would give you a more similar look and feel.  If
you like C++, the gtkmm wrapper around gtk+ works really well.  Qt is
also quite popular.

The challenge for applications on this phone will be to have them be
portable from phone to desktop:  it ought to be possible for things
like games or information managers to be portable with just a
recompile, but then getting them to deal well with the radically
different screen sizes is what will make it interesting.  That's what
I'm planning to be playing with!