suggested development toolkit for games?

Jeff Andros jeff at bigredtj.com
Mon Jan 8 00:40:23 CET 2007

On 1/7/07, Joe Pfeiffer <jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net> wrote:

> Andreas Jellinghaus writes:
> >I wrote a game in turbo pascal a decade or two ago.
> >if I wanted to rewrite it for openmoko, which toolkit
> >etc. would I use for the graphics and sound effects?
> >
> >rewriting this game once more is always a nice way for
> >me to learn some new language and toolkit and do something
> >useful at the same time. :)
>
> Anything you want! :)
>
> It's my understanding that the apps coming with the phone will use
> gtk+, so using that would give you a more similar look and feel.  If
> you like C++, the gtkmm wrapper around gtk+ works really well.  Qt is
> also quite popular.
>
> The challenge for applications on this phone will be to have them be
> portable from phone to desktop:  it ought to be possible for things
> like games or information managers to be portable with just a
> recompile, but then getting them to deal well with the radically
> different screen sizes is what will make it interesting.  That's what
> I'm planning to be playing with!

I heard the same thing about being GTK based... so anything that runs under
GTK on your desktop should be trivial(-ish) to re-compile
for the target(your mileage may vary-- caveat emptor-- Si vis Pacem, Para
bellum-- and other legalese)

you also want to watch out for text entry/control issues.  I'm not sure what
the interface to your game was, but keep in mind that input may be limited
(not everyone wants to lug around a usb keyboard and power source).  That
said, it'd be great to have a couple of text-based games to try out the
different text-entry methods

I'd love to see how this turns out... make sure you put it up on the
app-manager repository, and let us when it goes up!

--
Jeff