Finally, iPhone annoused, also with multi-touch screen

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Wed Jan 10 11:54:49 CET 2007

Am 10.01.2007 um 11:13 schrieb community-request at lists.openmoko.org:

> Von: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> Datum: 10. Januar 2007 10:13:57 MEZ
> An: Sven Neuhaus <sven-openmoko at sven.de>
> Kopie: community at lists.openmoko.org
> Betreff: Re: Finally, iPhone annoused, also with multi-touch screen
>

> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 09:41 +0100, Sven Neuhaus wrote:
>> Leira Hua wrote:
>>> when i saw it, i said: WOW, isn't it an OSX powered Neo?
>>>
>>> http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/
>>> http://www.apple.com/iphone
>>
>> It's hot.. *but* apparently it has no handwriting recognition and
>> it isn't
>> really a smartphone (see
>> http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/73213967/ ),
>> because you
>> can't upload new applications to it. Quite the opposite of the
>> Neo, despite
>> the similar appearance. What a difference a bit of software makes...
>>
>> Speaking about handwriting recognition software, will Neo ship
>> with any?
>> Are there any free solutions available?
>
> Yeah, that apple iphone is locked down! It uses apple ipod dock
> connector, can't be upgraded, can't remove the battery, is locked into
> apple DRM, etc...blah...

And it appears that the OS is only called OSX and looks like it.
Nothing is known so far
about CPU, RAM and SDKs (Xcode + IB???).

> The openmoko project has a major opening here and vital that people
> publish about this lock-down on their blogs, etc.

That is the reason why I am eagerly waiting to get one of the developer
devices to port mySTEP/QuantumSTEP - which is the "Open-i-Phone"
or OSX Lite platform approach you and many others are looking for...

Please refer to my posting at discuss.gnustep.org:

http://groups.google.de/group/gnu.gnustep.discuss/browse_frm/thread/
878ef020e0112bdd/768916367e12c643?hl=de#768916367e12c643

Nikolaus Schaller
www.quantum-step.com