Real Neo1973 photo?

Sean Moss-Pultz sean_mosko at fic.com.tw
Thu Jan 11 12:47:55 CET 2007

On 1/10/07 8:53 AM, "michael at michaelshiloh.com" <michael at michaelshiloh.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. Good overview article to refer to when my very
> slightly
> technical friends say "what is this OpenMoko thing I keep hearing about"?

Thanks!

> Sean must be tired in the picture. It looks like his eyes are closed. Too much
> traveling? :-)

Let's just put it this way, I so busy that I don't even have time for jetlag
;-)

> Don't think it said so, but I presume that interview was at CES?

Yes.

> Sean, when you have time, I'd be interested in hearing about how the Neo was
> received at CES, although we know that CES is an important though somewhat
> artificial venue. Did you hear any interesting comments? I would expect that
> hackers like us were ready to pre-order on the spot.

I talked with a lot of interesting people over the past four days. The
single thing that stood out the most is how many people compared us to the
iPhone. On the one hand, I'm still blushing from being compared to a company
of that caliber. But on the other hand, I find the comparison unexpected.
Don't get me wrong, they are quite interesting. Personally I just thought of
the Neo1973 as sort of the anti-iPhone.

Even though I've only seen pictures, I'm sure Apple will have an incredible
UI. But likewise, I'm sure it's going to be a closed system like the iPod.

So even though Apple's phone might be very elegant phone, its going to be
more of the same stuff that (IMHO) has held the mobile industry back --
namely the lack of an open ecosystem for developers.

What really excites me now is how we can work together to make OpenMoko even
more innovative. We'll be four months into collaborative development before
the public even gets an iPhone. And judging from the ideas / comments that
have been flying around this list for the past few months, I don't see any
reason why, together, we can come up with some applications that allow
people to use phones in entirely new ways.

Once we have phones shipping, I would love to start a conversation with all
of you about how to organize and support this effort. I promise to put
resources where my mouth is ;-)

-Sean