Real Neo1973 photo / Neo delayed...!?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at
Fri Jan 12 01:10:23 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 15:48 -0800, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> On 1/11/07 3:38 PM, "Koen Kooi" <koen at> wrote:
> >> If there's enough interest, it might be cool to just sell the mapping data
> >
> > Raster or vector, and with or without address data?
> This would be the raw stuff that companies like TomTom, Navigon, and
> Destinator, parse. I don't even know if they will let us license this for an
> totally open phone. We use it on other projects inside FIC.
> I've used Maemo Mapper but I don't know about the internals. Does anyone
> know if this would be useful? It really would be neat to have a open source
> engine with real (legal) mapping data.

Maemo Mapper uses Raster maps.

There is a project called in order to create free/open
maps. For the quality of the output look here:

Creating maps of your own area is easy. Go to , create a login, choose your
area and click edit. There is a Java Applet with Yahoo sat imagery that
lets you insert nodes, segments and streets.

Its a bit like wikipedia - if enough people help there will be soon
enough maps.

Apart from that one can use vmap0 data (freely available) to create maps
till ~1:1.000.000 paper equivalent which is at least good enough for
navigation from village to village.