Real Neo1973 photo / Neo delayed...!?

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Fri Jan 12 11:33:55 CET 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 10:14, Sven Neuhaus wrote:
> TomTom Go is Linux based, perhaps you can get them to offer their product
> for the OpenMoko?
> I would be very interested in a solution for the OpenMoko at that price
> range.

Some might find this too philosophical, but nonetheless, a rant. Not
specifically talking about TomTom, but the problem with an OSS mapping
solution tied to a vendor who provides the (costly) data is that the software
is not really open, not in the libre sense. It turns to more of a gratis
addon that is connected to proprietary data, which, in essence, turns the
whole into a proprietary product. You could of course argue that you could
change the client to adapt it to other (your/free) datasets, but then the
vendor wouldn't be intereseted in supporting these changes (e.g. fork), since
then it woudl threaten its real income source, the data. Don't know about
TomTom, but the ones I have seen are so bad in terms of data independence and
code quality, that it makes you wonder you should do all of it yourself and
rely on some freely available data (such as openstreets). So sure, we could
have TomTom, and any other (if not in license then in spirit) proprietary
stuff in the Neo1973, but then I would feel the purpose of OpenMoko has been
defeated (it would become just another motorola EZX phone - an OSS base for
mass-adopted proprietary products). Congrats to readers that got this far in
this email and sorry for any mental strain I might have caused :)