Non-gprs Internet access options without wifi (cel-dialup)

Rob openmoko at borfo.com
Sat Jan 13 17:51:32 CET 2007

> E.g.: I've used a Sidekick and now use a Nokia 9500 intensivly, and I
> seldom go over 1-2MB per day (despite it having EGPRS, which is a
> qualitive jump).

...In Canada, at $.03 per kb, 1-2 mb per day would add up to somewhere
in the neighborhood of $1000-2000/month.  We have awful data plans
here because the telcos were protected monopolies until recently (and
are run by jerks).  At $.03 per kb there's not much you can do with
the internet without going bankrupt, unless you really get a kick out
of pinging things occasionally.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about it, and at 9600 baud or whatever it
wouldn't be worth bothering with.  I think what I'll do is build a
little pocket sized battery powered usb hub with an attached usb
802.11 dongle.  While I'm at it, I'll probably put an sd card reader
and an extra usb port or two on it as well.  It could be kept pretty
small by custom building it in an altoids case or something.

Thanks for the CSD info though, that's interesting.