Navigational software

Ole Tange openmoko.org at tange.dk
Sat Jan 13 20:49:52 CET 2007

On 1/11/07, Sean Moss-Pultz <sean_mosko at fic.com.tw> wrote:
> On 1/11/07 1:06 PM, "Sven Neuhaus" <sven-openmoko at sven.de> wrote:
>
> > Car kit? Please tell me it includes car navigation software... :)
> > This screen (not to mention the GPS) is just screaming for maps to display.
>
> We have this stuff, but I didn't think to use it for the first release of
> OpenMoko. The rendering engine is totally closed source, expensive, and the
> maps are even more expensive.
>
> If there's enough interest, it might be cool to just sell the mapping data
> and see if we can support an open source mapping engineer. Is this something
> people would pay for?

Personally my need is too low - especially if it is both non-free and
expensive. However, I think the Neo1973 may give a hell of a boost to
OpenStreetMap.org if the Neo made it easy to help.

If it is easy to start and stop recording of the map and uploading can
be done automatically when the Neo has free internet access then I
would be happy to help out OpenStreetMap collecting data.

Maybe the collection could be activated automatically if you move
faster than 30 km/h? The collection will be saved on flash and
uploaded when there is internet access through USB or Bluetooth.

It would be the first step towards:
http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/ideas/RoadConditionReporting

/Ole