A FIC phone with a real keyboard - Was: OpenMoko ON the iPhone

Carlo E. Prelz fluido at fluido.as
Sat Jan 13 22:03:05 CET 2007

	Subject: Re: A FIC phone with a real keyboard - Was: OpenMoko ON the iPhone
	Date: sab 13 gen 07 07:40:39 +0000

Quoting Sean Moss-Pultz (sean_mosko at fic.com.tw):

> On 1/12/07 3:23 AM, "Carlo E. Prelz" <fluido at fluido.as> wrote:
>
> > My question is: are there plans for FIC to produce a QWERTY keyboard
> > model with native openmoko? (Possibly with wifi in place of gps, and
> > with real mini-sd instead of micro-sd - but these are my personal
> > preferences) No matter if the phone comes to be somewhat larger!
>
> Yes but this kind of stuff is Q3 / Q4 for us.

Very nice to know.

> We're focusing on the software
> issue first. This, IMO, is a far bigger problem. I know our first phone is
> not 3G, not WiFi, and doesn't have a QWERTY keypad. But please remember,
> this is unlocked and unsubsidized. Many components in this handset are
> currently being shipped in our other phones in high-volume in Asia. This is
> the _only_ way I could sell a device in the sub-$500 range. Which I think is
> super important for getting critical mass of an open phone.

All this is perfectly understandable. I only wanted you (and FIC) to
know that there is interest in a treo-like open phone.

Many thanks for what you are doing!

Carlo

PS I have an unrelated question. I see that FIC produces laptops (the
contact for clients here in the Netherlands is someone in the UK). I
expect you are a user of these laptops. Do you have a good
experience? I was very upset when, at the moment of buying my current
laptop almost 2 years ago, I was forcefed a copy of XP. It is of
little importance that it was away from my HD by the time I returned
home by train from the shop. I had to pay, possibly for the first time
since MS-DOS, a microsoft tax.

Do you know if FIC is bound by the same idiot rules, or I can purchase
a portable with a clean hard drive? I might be interested in a GR3
model.

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido at fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe