Fwd: OpenMoko in my area?

Marcel de Jong mdejong at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:21:51 CET 2007

On 1/15/07, Mike <fromlists at talkingspider.com> wrote:

> I'm in the US, in New York city.  What networks can I use a Neo1973
> phone on?  Do all GSM carriers accept all GSM phones?

In contrast to CDMA phones, a GSM phone isn't normally locked to a
carrier, only the GSM-chip (SIMcard) that is inside your GSM phone is
locked to your carrier.
Some carriers offer you bundles with phones that are simlocked
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMLOCKS), which means that the phone
and the SIMcard are paired, but if you have a SIMcard you can put it
in any GSM-phone.

So no, they can't deny your phone.
The only limitation on which GSM-phones you can choose from depends on
the frequency that is used in your country. But given that the Neo is
quad band (it supports all current GSM-frequency ranges), they can't
stop you from using the Neo.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM#Radio_interface)

--
Marcel

ps.
I really don't like the fact that 'reply' doesn't work on this