Kingmax announces microSDHC 4G card

Grahame Falvey grahame at falvey.net
Mon Jan 15 23:39:24 CET 2007

On 15/01/07, Paul Bohme <openmoko at bohme.org> wrote:
> kkr wrote:
> >> http://www.mobile-review.com/news.php?language=en#news12096
> >>
> >> Any chance to use those with the Neo?
> >>

> > As mentioned on http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/Hardware , the
> > CPU (Samsung s3c2410) can manage 1 GB of memory.
> >
> > Even if I don't know how Linux manage SDcard (or SDHC), I think that the
> > limitation is bound to the CPU.
> >
> > Therefore, I don't think that it's possible
> >
> > Could anybody confirm it?
> >

> How big is the hard drive in your PC?  I'd wager a lot larger than the
> RAM can be. ;-)
>
> The SD is going to be handled through interfaces that enable much larger
> range than the physical memory limitations of the CPU.
>
> I run a 2GB SD in my Zaurus (C760) and GP2X - both ARM-based devices -
> without issue.
>
>   -P

>From the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SD_and_SDHC_-_compatibility

"SD and SDHC - compatibility

A new SD format, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity), allows
capacities in excess of 2GB (4GB to 32GB)[5]. SDHC uses the same form
factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory
addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing[6])."

So it appears that it's all up the the controller chip in the reader?

Gra