Kingmax announces microSDHC 4G card

Ole Tange openmoko.org at tange.dk
Tue Jan 16 11:32:26 CET 2007

On 1/15/07, Grahame Falvey <grahame at falvey.net> wrote:
> On 15/01/07, Paul Bohme <openmoko at bohme.org> wrote:
> > kkr wrote:

> > > As mentioned on http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/Hardware , the
> > > CPU (Samsung s3c2410) can manage 1 GB of memory.
> > >
> > > Even if I don't know how Linux manage SDcard (or SDHC), I think that the
> > > limitation is bound to the CPU.
> >
> > The SD is going to be handled through interfaces that enable much larger
> > range than the physical memory limitations of the CPU.
>
> >From the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SD_and_SDHC_-_compatibility
>
> "SD and SDHC - compatibility
>
> A new SD format, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity), allows
> capacities in excess of 2GB (4GB to 32GB)[5]. SDHC uses the same form
> factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory
> addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing[6])."
>

> So it appears that it's all up the the controller chip in the reader?

If the microSD is pinwise compatible with SD, would it be possible to:

* take out the battery
* attach the battery using wires
* take out the microSD
* attach a SD-card using wires

If so then it should be fairly easy to test if the Neo will work with
an 8 GB card, even though 8 GB microSD cards do not exist yet. The
test could be done with
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/31/pretec-releases-first-8gb-sdhc-card/

(No, it do not suggest using the Neo with the battery and flash card
dangling on wires - it is only for testing).

/Ole