MikroSD under the battery - unmount, sleep modus, small capacitator Re: MicroSD Wifi ?

Grahame Falvey grahame at falvey.net
Tue Jan 16 12:16:26 CET 2007

On 16/01/07, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:
> Salve Joe!
>
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > Grahame Falvey writes:
> > >
> > >Is the microSD slot accessable while the phone is operational?  Or
> > >does one have to remove the battery and hence power down the device in
> > >order to swap out the card?
> >
> > As far as we know, it requires powering-down the phone.
>
> Alternative:
> - small capacitator parallel to the battery
> - script/function that
> -- unmount the SD
> -- let the phone sleep for a while
>
> This is why I'm not in favor to produce the Neo1973 as fast as possible
> - small features make the hardware much more smart.
>
> Imagine you would like to copy from on mikroSD to another mikroSD
> what a pain when you have to reboot and only the rest memmory of
> you 64 MB flash...
>
> With the capacitator you could use the free memory of your RAM (128 MB)
> and I can imagine that it would be possible run a "copy mode" system
> that let you have >120MB free RAM to copy
> :)
>
> Hope that I haven't to hack my Neo1973 myself with my solder iron :)
>
> Cheers,
> rob

I know it's probably too late, but why not have the ability to access
the MicroSD from the outside of the device?  Such as in the Sansa e200
series devices?

http://www.hwsw.hu/kepek/hirek/2006/07/sandisk_sansa.jpg
http://ec1img.pchome.com.tw/static/2006/06/20/2208271150804052.jpg

To me it make far more sense.  I found the Nokia solution very
annoying.  Especially when it would crash while transferring large
files to and from the phone with bluetooth.  Fortunately here in
Europe we haven't been locked down to relying on the network providers
to be able to access our photos, but I personally don't care for
cameras on phones either.  Of more interest to me personally would be
the smart phone capability with audio and video playback.

As an aside, I'm assuming that it's planned to have a "Flight" mode
for the phone to allow the use of it in aircraft without the
transceiver of the device being active?

Gra