ipaq sleeves as an example for hardware extensions

Christopher Heiny clheiny at starband.net
Wed Jan 17 23:51:18 CET 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 14:37, kenneth marken scribbled in crayon on
the back of a kid's menu:
> Christopher Heiny wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 January 2007 13:48, David Schlesinger scribbled in
> > crayon on
> >
> > the back of a kid's menu:
> >>
> >> We enjoyed the WiFi sleeves for the Compaq iPaqs when I was working at
> >> Palm. Took the battery life of the device down to about forty minutes.
> >
> > I used an iPaq for a year. Even with a sleeve with an extra battery in
> > it, power was in short supply.  And the darn sleeve was so bulky, it
> > was like carrying a brick in my pocket.
>
> something tells your trying to say that sleeves is a bad idea...

Gosh!  Was it that transparent? :-)

Actually, I don't know if sleeves themselves are inherently a bad idea.  The
iPaq's sleeves certainly sucked, but it's entirely possible that better
implementations are possible.