Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Alexander McLeay alexander at thecartographers.net
Thu Jan 18 02:01:00 CET 2007

On 1/18/07, Renaissance Man <renaissanceman at macmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2007, at 12:42 am, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > Renaissance Man writes:
> >> Everything I've read says it doesn't have WiFi.
> >
> > It doesn't. But assuming it's a success, there will surely be a
> > successor soon that does.
>
> Or how about guarantee success by giving it WiFi. This is all it
> needs to be a revolution from day one.

Sean has already said they won't be putting binary modules into the
OpenMoko kernel, and that he hasn't been able to find a low-powered
device with free Linux drivers. It's a pity, but hopefully it will
change sooner rather than later. I very much doubt strongly worded
messages to this list will have *any* impact on it.

The revolutionary aspects of the OpenMoko are in terms of it's
openness, not it's mo(bile)ko(mmunication)ness.

--
Alexander.