Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Thu Jan 18 02:29:04 CET 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 00:09, Renaissance Man wrote:
> Why does no organisation (even Apple) seem to get it that the mobile
> communications revolution is through VoIP via WiFi. This is the
> killer app.

Could you share with us WHY do you think that is the killer app ? (for DATA
applications, I understand, but specifically for VOICE) From what I see, VoIP
via WiFi in phones/PDAs is the re-creation of GSM technology but without the
phone-orientedness of GSM networks. Technology wise, you seem to have worse
autonomy, worse coverage, extra HW cost, bluetooth interference, limited and
country-specific list of channels, but hey you have the extra bandwidth you
will never need for VoIP ! Pricewise, it's bust again. No carrier will
subsidise such phones, thus they will be more expensive (defeating the
purpose of being cheaper) and even if they would, with different dialplans
and GSM gateways, the price difference becomes really slim. VoIP might come
into play if you had 3G bandwidths, but again, price works against you except
for the most expansive direct calls to the other side of the world. Of
course, all of this from my local perspective, maybe in the UK it's
different :)