Why do I want WiFi?

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Thu Jan 18 03:25:25 CET 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 2:14 am, Jean-Philippe Monteiro wrote:

> Why do I want WiFi? ... NOT to make expensive VoIP calls in
> airports - if I want to spend money in airports, there are plenty
> of other ways...

Yeah you could make expense GSM calls instead. Naturally you're much
better off using WiFi when it's freely accessible, but of course if
your device is intelligent enough it will seamlessly swap between the
two, using WiFi when it's available and GSM when it's not (and vice
versa), just as Truphone does.

> I want WiFI so that the Phone is a real part of my network,
> allowing Sync's & Backups, move/consultation of files over standard
> smb:// protocol: safe, fast, secure, you choose what to share &
> what not.

I think the iPhone's got it right on this one. Using WiFi for syncing
when you can use a cable/dock makes more sense to me battery wise.

Renaissance Man