Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Dimitris Kogias dimitris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 03:26:22 CET 2007

What makes OpenMoko disruptive where the iPhone may not be is not WiFi
or VoIP per se.

The key ingredient is the control of one's personal public access
handle.  Where voice is concerned that's your phone number.  Even in
locales where number portability is available, the list of players among
which you can move that public handle is limited.

OpenMoko makes it possible to increase that pool significantly because,
through openness, it enables interesting signaling mechanisms.  I want
to make my telephone number be more like my DNS domains:

- Cost ridiculously less than a PSTN number costs today; practically free.
- Be as completely under my control as possible.

As far as voice is concerned, that's what makes OpenMoko interesting to
me.  It's not [the lack of] any particular technology, it's control.

D.