Fwd: Why do I want WiFi?

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu Jan 18 05:48:45 CET 2007

Jean-Philippe Monteiro wrote:
>>> Need to set up a server though, it won't just access my Linksys Box :(
>> It will access your Linksys NSLU2 running SlugOS with a bluetooth USB
>> dongle plugged into it, sitting beside your Linksys Router ...
>>
>> I do this today with the Treo 650 to get bluetooth network coverage in
>> my house.
>>
>> -- Rod
>> -- nslu2-linux.org project lead
>
> A link I'm goin' to follow, if you say you actually get a Treo online with
> this hack - I own a BEFW11S4 2.4 Wireless-B 802.11b, so I'm out here anyway.

I usually read and respond to this mailing list on the Treo 650
downloaded from my external IMAP server (fastmail.fm) over the bluetooth
link via an NSLU2 and Linksys USBBT100 dongle.  In fact, over 80% of my
email reading is done on the Treo in the first hour of the morning
(Australia morning immediately follows the US business day).

I also connect to IRC, can ssh, and surf the web, all over the bluetooth
connection.

I expect to be able to do the same with the Neo, except that it will be
a true PAN BT connection rather than the ppp over serial BT connection
that I use now.

-- Rod