Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Thu Jan 18 10:01:46 CET 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 7:41 am, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> On Thursday 18 January 2007 00:09, Renaissance Man wrote:
>> Why does no organisation (even Apple) seem to get it that the
>> mobile communications revolution is through VoIP via WiFi. This is
>> the killer app.
>
> WiFi enabled Nokia E Series can do that. As can do many Winmobile
> devices. "no organization that gets it" is hardly true.

Thanks for cutting off my last paragraph:

"Well there is one organisation but they don't make hardware. They
even offer a one phone number solution for VoIP/Cell too:
truphone.com" (which works with the Nokia E Series and N80s, as I
mentioned)

The problem with the Nokia E Series, N80s, and Windows smartphones is
that they're either very expensive and/or they don't actually make
VoIP via WiFi easy. The only organisation that seems to get it is
Truphone. You can take their software package, put it on the cheapest
supported WiFi/GSM enabled phone you can get and then you have a
phone that seamlessly swaps between WiFi and GSM with one phone number.

Truphone get it. Nobody else does yet.

Renaissance Man